Engineering Manager - Growth
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
As a leader within the Growth Engineering team, you will manage a cross-functional team of engineers that has direct responsibility of reaching millions of new customers and onboarding them into our product ecosystem. You will lead design and development of systems pertaining to acquisition, onboarding, activation, and engagement while creating great user experiences at scale. As a member of the Growth leadership team you will partner with Product and Marketing to refine our growth strategies, design experiments that discover and validate customer hypotheses, and optimize our customer experiences to drive engagement and keep our existing customers happy. You will report directly to the VP of Engineering.
What you will do
- Collaborate with senior leadership and your peers to develop the strategy for your team
- Lead and participate in technical design and product discussions with leaders across the company
- Hire, develop, and coach engineers, and help them learn and grow to achieve their goals
- Hold yourself and your team accountable to high engineering standards
- Guide your team to continuously improve our systems towards greater observability and resiliency
- Develop efficient processes, instill a sense of urgency, and motivate your team to operate with high velocity, ownership, and accountability
- Build products, systems, and services that solve your customers' problems
- Foster an inclusive environment for your team to show up and give their best each day
- Contribute to the broader technology and open source communities
- 10+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- 2+ years directly managing engineers
- Demonstrable experience in web development, building responsive websites, and using CSS frameworks such as Tailwind CSS and Sass
- Experience with Prismic, Contentful, or other headless content management systems a plus
- A history of collaboration with product, product marketing, design, and analytics on developing product roadmaps
- A curious, passionate, and growth-oriented mindset
- Experience creating well-crafted, maintainable code
- Eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. You will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain as part of the recruitment process.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation where Proton employs the relevant candidate.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.