Engineering Manager, iOS (Core)
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
As an engineering manager within the Proton's Core team, you will be responsible for leading a team of iOS engineers that designs, builds and maintains a set of shared modules that are used by all Proton's products. Your team will have impact on all client teams in the company.
As a member of the iOS Core team you will advocate for making continuous investments in developer productivity and code quality while ensuring fast feature delivery. You will report directly to the director of engineering for Proton Core.
What you will do
- Be responsible for the people, projects and process of the team
- Own the OKRs and ensure they are delivered on time.
- Together with product manager facilitate alignment and clarity across core and client teams on goals, outcomes, and timelines.
- Hold yourself and your team accountable to high engineering standards
- Lead and participate in technical design and product discussions
- Develop efficient processes, instil a sense of urgency, and motivate your team to operate with high velocity, ownership, and accountability
- Set technical direction either personally or by facilitating relevant discussions among the team
- Collaborate with core leadership to develop strategies for your team
- Work effectively with product manager as your partner to manage the roadmap and balance development of new features with investments in code quality and maintenance work
- Build and manage relationship with all client teams to ensure the solutions built by Core meet their requirements, are easy to work with and delivered in desirable timeline.
- Hire, develop, and coach engineers, and help them learn and grow to achieve their goals
- Solve day to day problems of the team to ensure developers can perform their best job
- You’ll be challenged. You will not be working on a single app. You will be building functionalities that are used by a number of different applications.
- You will be contributing to a product that you understand well and use yourself (Mail, Calendar, Drive, VPN).
- Experience in leading teams of engineers for 2+ years.
- You come from a technical background and have worked as a developer of iOS/MacOs apps at some point in your career.
- Having knowledge of mobile engineering best practice and agile development methodologies.
- You enjoy and value people management as much as solving technical problems and delivering features.
- Having a strong focus on results and relentlessly look for solutions to problems.
- You love to share knowledge with others and are also comfortable raising problems.
- You value clear communication.
- You want to develop your career on the management path ( engineering manager > director of engineering > VP of engineering).
- You can find the right balance between perfect code and meeting business objectives on time
- You are based ( or will relocate ) to European timezone and enjoy remote work or will be based in a location of one of our European offices
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. You will receive emails from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain as part of the recruitment process.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation where Proton employs the relevant candidate.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.