Engineering Manager, iOS (Core)
A better internet is possible, one that empowers people to choose how their personal information is used. This might seem daunting, or even impossible, but at Proton, building this better internet is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, use end-to-end encryption that gives our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton is making privacy universally accessible to more than 50 million registered users, including journalists, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 30 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens use our products so they can choose who, if anyone, sees their information. Join us at one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies, we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
As an engineering manager within the Proton's Core team, you will be responsible for leading a team of iOS engineers that designs, builds and maintains a set of shared modules that are used by all Proton's products. Your team will have impact on all client teams in the company.
As a member of the iOS Core team you will advocate for making continuous investments in developer productivity and code quality while ensuring fast feature delivery. You will report directly to the director of engineering for Proton Core.
What you will do
- Be responsible for the people, projects and process of the team
- Own the OKRs and ensure they are delivered on time.
- Together with product manager facilitate alignment and clarity across core and client teams on goals, outcomes, and timelines.
- Hold yourself and your team accountable to high engineering standards
- Lead and participate in technical design and product discussions
- Develop efficient processes, instil a sense of urgency, and motivate your team to operate with high velocity, ownership, and accountability
- Set technical direction either personally or by facilitating relevant discussions among the team
- Collaborate with core leadership to develop strategies for your team
- Work effectively with product manager as your partner to manage the roadmap and balance development of new features with investments in code quality and maintenance work
- Build and manage relationship with all client teams to ensure the solutions built by Core meet their requirements, are easy to work with and delivered in desirable timeline.
- Hire, develop, and coach engineers, and help them learn and grow to achieve their goals
- Solve day to day problems of the team to ensure developers can perform their best job
Why you will love it
- You’ll be challenged. You will not be working on a single app. You will be building functionalities that are used by a number of different applications.
- You will be contributing to a product that you understand well and use yourself ( Mail, Calendar, Drive, VPN).
- You will have an impact on all Proton's products.
- You will connect and be inspired by our mission to make privacy be the default on Internet.
- You will be part of a great team that works closely together, support each other and continuously learns and improves.
- You will have flexible working time ( focused on results not hours)
- You will become part of our internal developers community (chapter), where we share knowledge and discuss all things related to the platform.
- You will have a lot learning opportunities, both formal and informal training
You are a top candidate if you
- have led teams of engineers for 2+ years
- come from a technical background and have worked as a developer of iOS/MacOs apps at some point in your career
- have knowledge of mobile engineering best practice and agile development methodologies
- enjoy and value people management as much as solving technical problems and delivering features
- have a strong focus on results and relentlessly look for solutions to problems
- you want to develop your career on the management path ( engineering manager > director of engineering > VP of engineering)
- love to share knowledge with others
- are comfortable raising problems
- value clear communication
- can find the right balance between perfect code and meeting business objectives on time
- you are based ( or will relocate ) to European timezone and enjoy remote work or will be based in a location of one of our European offices
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.