Engineering Manager, Web (Core)
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
Proton's Core department owns: customer experiences that cut across all Proton products; services and APIs that power both our end-to-end experiences and those built by other product teams; foundational SDKs for networking and cryptography; the Proton Design System, reusable UX components that make the Proton ecosystem work and feel consistent. We are a multi-platform o that delivers across Android, iOS, Web, so our reach is wide and our impact is as large as the whole Proton customers base.
Engineering Managers in Proton lead teams through invention, design, estimation, delivery, operation. Your purpose is to make your team as independent as possible to the point the team can execute autonomously so that they are empowered and accountable for the their tech decisions. A large part of your raison d'être is driving along with Product the roadmap of your domain of ownership, connecting with customers and being both proactive and reactive to their needs. You put your team and yourself in the right position to incrementally raise the quality of what you own, and only data drives your progress.
What you will do
As an Engineering Manager in Core you are expected to:
- have solid foundations in the tech stack used by your team and grow your knowledge with them as the tech landscape changes
- be customer focused: both internal and external customers are your obsession and you are always out there looking for inputs and feedback
- be operational at heart: a feature, to be complete, must also be measurable and you push hard to get things monitored as this is one of your ways to stay close to your customers
- be a product person: you are the bridge between Product Owners and your engineering team, sometimes you are the product owner too
- master agile practices: being customer obsessed means being able to address needs in a timely manner, so you drive your team through great backlog cleanliness, grooming, estimation, day to day burn-down measurement, retrospectives and you follow up with retro-actions
- be empathetic with your team and strive to empower them
- take superb care of your team funnelling the organisational culture into everyday life
- provide clear OKRs to team members
- grow team members so they manage themselves and converge on technical decisions quickly and solidly
- shield the team from the outside so they can carry out their job undisturbed
- take active part in recruiting new engineers for both your team and others
- be data-driven: you measure and improve, quarter on quarter
Although we'd like you to cover the whole bunch, do not hesitate applying if not all of these are covered and let us understand where you'd like growing
- The web applications make use of the following technologies: React, SASS, Webpack, Storybooks.
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent (assimilable industry experience can fit too)
- Proven track-record of successful experience as engineer working with the below tech-stack for a minimum of 5 years
- Operated as Engineering Manager for a minimum of 2 years, with teams ranging in size form 4 to 8 engineers
- Proven track-record and/or certified expertise in agile methodologies
- Can find the right balance between perfect code and meeting business objectives on time
- Ability to deep dive with an analytical and metrics-driven mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- The ability to think clearly, analyse quantitatively, problem-solve, scope technical requirements and prioritise tasks
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with minimal outside direction, while constantly advancing long term goal
Technology related knowledge:
- An understanding of React.
- An awareness of the most common security issues affecting client side development from the OWASP top ten and how to mitigate them.
- Familiarity with Usability, Accessibility and Localization concerns and solutions.
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. You will receive emails from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain as part of the recruitment process.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation where Proton employs the relevant candidate.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.