Head of Infrastructure
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
We are looking for a Head of Infrastructure to shape the future of a scalable, reliable, and secure high-performing on-premise platform infrastructure that is in line with the expectations of our business.
We operate our own storage infrastructure, distributed across data centers throughout Switzerland and Germany. This infrastructure, built on open-source technologies, is doubling every year and requires 24/7 operation.
More about the role
You will play a pivotal role in supporting the successful scaling of our organization by delivering our products to a growing user base of 70+ million people.
You will be responsible for line management of the Infrastructure Department and will lead a group of 40+ engineers (networking, databases and storage, DevOps, systems and applications, hardware and data centers, corporate, and security). You will report to the Chief Technology Officer. Day to day you’ll be:
- Developing and driving long-term strategy for our production and development infrastructure engineering, architecture, and operations, delivering high performance, security, reliability, and usability.
- Ensuring that production services critical to our systems are designed, deployed, and maintained with security and reliability at the forefront.
- Ensuring a robust Disaster Recovery strategy for critical systems and infrastructure.
- Assessing and developing optimal levels of automation, standardization, and monitoring, so that the performance of our systems is maximized and enabling an SLA uptime of 99.9%.
- Leading, growing, developing, and operating a high-performing global infrastructure organization that comprises Systems & Reliability, Applications, Network, Databases, Hardware and Datacenters, DevOps, and IT support teams.
- Fostering a strong culture of operational health, standard methodologies, detail orientation, and innovation. Ensure skills are regularly updated to leverage technologies and methodologies that can deliver a competitive advantage to the business.
- Partnering with senior leadership to plan and execute a multi-year plan to establish and maintain a services infrastructure that can support Proton's strategy and its fast-paced growth, while operating at a high level of efficiency.
- Managing budgets for our IT architecture, with a solid sense of balance for efficiency and focus.
- Liaising with top management throughout the organization to ensure the alignment and prioritization of resources in line with business priorities.
We welcome applications from candidates who can demonstrate a track record (10 – 15yrs) of experience in technical leadership positions. You’ll be seeking to apply your strong technical expertise to lead and inspire cross functional teams with a bias for action, execution and continuous improvement. We have a start-up mindset so you’ll need to be flexible, passionate, efficient and pragmatic, and will want to be hands-on, leading from the front. It is likely that you’ll have:
- Technical expertise with networks, applications, on premise infrastructure management, storage, and security.
- Previous experience of administering Linux systems at a large scale and with highly available infrastructure.
- Sound customer service and collaboration skills, with the ability to lead and inspire cross-functional interdisciplinary teams.
- Startup mindset (pragmatic, adaptive, energetic, and efficient). You must lead from the front, be hands-on, and have a strong work ethic. You should also have a bias towards action, execution, and making continuous improvements.
- Business acumen, experience in building business cases, budgets, ROI, and other financial analysis as needed.
- Deliver cost-effective services to the Business Units.
- Extensive project and change management skills, combined with experience in crisis management.
- Experience in engaging with and influencing senior leaders and board members.
- Outstanding project management and organizational skills.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits - These vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.