iOS Engineer (VPN)
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
We are currently looking for a passionate iOS engineer to join our Apple Team to help take our ProtonVPN iOS and macOS apps to the next level. You will work as part of a cross-functional team, with close interactions with our product, QA, back-end, R&D, and design teams to deliver a superior and consistent user experience across all platforms. A good grasp of user experience and design is highly desirable. The products you will contribute towards building will impact the lives of millions of users, so a strong emphasis on quality is required.
What you will do
- Contribute to the stabilization and quality improvement of our clients.
- Implement new features for our iOS and macOS ProtonVPN applications.
- Collaborate with QA, Designers, and Product Managers, to make our product better and better.
- Strive for frequent releases, writing code with growing test coverage and using CI/CD.
- Team up with other iOS and macOS developers in Proton to create the best experience for our users across all Proton products.
- Work on Open source software.
- Experience with iOS (or macOS) development, with Swift in particular.
- Strong sense of ownership, participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture and design.
- Care about highly maintainable code, architecture, and testability.
- Passionate about user interaction, usability, and providing an excellent user experience.
- Knowledge of Git or other source control.
Bonus points for:
- Networking experience, in particular on Apple platforms.
- Experience with VPN protocols such as OpenVPN, IKEv2, or WireGuard.
- Well-versed in security, and with a good understanding of security best practices for desktop and mobile development.
- Open source contributor.
- Having implemented highly-rated apps in the App Store with a large number of downloads.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field of study and/or scientific background.
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. You will receive emails from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain as part of the recruitment process.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation where Proton employs the relevant candidate.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.