Lead Test Engineer
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
As a Lead Test Engineer in Proton Mail, you will be leading a group of test engineers for the Proton Mail applications that enable millions of our customers to communicate securely online. You will work hand-in-hand with the development team and will maintain a high quality bar for Mail applications in Proton. As a member of the Proton Mail leadership team, you will advocate for continuous investments in software quality while ensuring prompt features delivery on behalf of our customers.
What you will do
- Lead testing efforts for Proton Mail applications.
- Hire, develop, and coach engineers, and help them learn and grow to achieve their goals.
- Work closely with the development team in order to continuously improve the quality of the Proton Mail applications.
- Develop efficient testing processes, and motivate your team to operate with high velocity, ownership, and accountability.
- Collect, analyze, and apply in practice software testing metrics.
- Ensure best testing practices are used in product development.
- Design and execute test strategies.
- Participate in feature specifications, wireframes reviews, and testing sessions.
- Optimize and maintain testing tools.
- Contribute to test automation projects in the Mail domain.
- Extensive experience in test automation and manual testing.
- Experience in leading a testing team.
- Understanding of quality assurance methodologies, techniques, tools, and processes.
- Experience with test cases and test data management.
- Experience in CI/CD processes and tools.
- Experience with Agile software development methodology.
- Be an independent and highly motivated problem solver
- 6+ years of experience in Software Testing and Test Automation.
- 2+ years in direct test engineers management.
- Experience working in distributed teams.
- Experience with mobile/Web test automation frameworks.
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and supporting organizations that advance the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit, with people coming from all walks of life. Many members of our team spent time at the world’s top academic institutions, including MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service – Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events, and team-building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. You will receive emails from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain as part of the recruitment process.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation where Proton employs the relevant candidate.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.