Lead Test Engineer
At Proton, we envision an internet where privacy is the default, and we’re building ways to help all people secure their digital lives and take control of their data. Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 40 million users.
Our principal product, Proton Mail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, Proton VPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products, including Proton Calendar, Proton Drive, and more to come.
Our users include New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens. The world is adopting our products at an accelerating pace. Whether it’s in New York, or at the front lines of the global struggle for freedom and democracy in Hong Kong, Belarus, and Myanmar, the work we do saves lives and is transforming the world. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, and Taipei, employing people around the world.
Purpose of the role
As a Lead Test Engineer in Proton Mail, you will be leading a group of test engineers for the Proton Mail applications that enable millions of our customers to communicate securely online. You will work hand-in-hand with the development team and will maintain a high quality bar for Mail applications in Proton. As a member of the Proton Mail leadership team, you will advocate for continuous investments in software quality while ensuring prompt features delivery on behalf of our customers.
What you will do
- Lead testing efforts for Proton Mail applications.
- Hire, develop, and coach engineers, and help them learn and grow to achieve their goals.
- Work closely with the development team in order to continuously improve the quality of the Proton Mail applications.
- Develop efficient testing processes, and motivate your team to operate with high velocity, ownership, and accountability.
- Collect, analyze, and apply in practice software testing metrics.
- Ensure best testing practices are used in product development.
- Design and execute test strategies.
- Participate in feature specifications, wireframes reviews, and testing sessions.
- Optimize and maintain testing tools.
- Contribute to test automation projects in the Mail domain.
- Extensive experience in test automation and manual testing.
- Experience in leading a testing team.
- Understanding of quality assurance methodologies, techniques, tools, and processes.
- Experience with test cases and test data management.
- Experience in CI/CD processes and tools.
- Experience with Agile software development methodology.
- Be an independent and highly motivated problem solver
- 6+ years of experience in Software Testing and Test Automation.
- 2+ years in direct test engineers management.
- Experience working in distributed teams.
- Experience with mobile/Web test automation frameworks.
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.