Senior Android Engineer (Tech Lead), Proton Mail
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
Proton Mail Android app is our biggest client app used by millions of people everyday. The team is composed of 4 developers and an engineering manager. Its members are distributed across Europe. The team works closely with a product manager, QA and a designer.
A tech lead in Proton splits their time between day to day product development and leading, as well as facilitating decision-making efforts. They are maintaining a scalable architecture and a high-quality, healthy product that allows the team to keep delivering successfully on new features in the long term. So Proton Mail team is looking for a highly experienced Android engineer to be responsible for the technical direction of our app.
What you will do
- Drive the team's decision-making process to move through tech decisions efficiently.
- Define and maintain a clear, shared architectural vision.
- Supervise how the project grows and make sure that it stays healthy.
- Contribute to hiring new team members.
- Coach less-experienced developers and champion knowledge sharing.
- Be accountable for the technical output of the team.
- You will have a real impact on technical design and engineering culture.
- You will be part of a team that works closely together, supports each other and continuously learns and improves.
- You will be part of our internal developers community, where we share knowledge and discuss all things related to the platform.
- You will be able to shape the future of Proton Mail Android app.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in Android native development
- A proven track record of leading development on and successfully launching a complex Android application
- Expert knowledge of Kotlin, Android SDK, Room, Coroutines, whole application lifecycle.
- Highly skilled in writing clean, testable, high-quality code.
- Skilled in designing software using clean code architecture and deciding on patterns to maintain a scalable architecture.
- Solid familiarity with offline-first (optimistic) UX/UI.
- Solid familiarity with git.
- Design and lead the implementation of new features.
- Own the overall codebase and app architecture.
- Be a proactive problem solver.
- Uphold a high technical bar while making pragmatic tradeoffs.
- Effectively communicate with a cross-functional audience.
- Work with the EM to help establish and influence engineering processes, tools, and systems that allow us to scale the code base, productivity and the team.
- Maintain a balance between technical excellence and delivery time.
- Keep a positive attitude throughout challenges.
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.