Senior Engineer, Android, (Drive)
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
The Proton Drive team is building a new end-to-end encrypted online storage product to serve millions of customers worldwide. As an Android engineer, you will solve complex technical and design challenges, as well as implement best practices in code quality and architecture to ensure reliable and fast customer experiences. You will develop systems designed to operate at internet scale, and partner with Product, Engineering, Security, and other members of your team to influence future direction of our products. You will make continuous investments in developing code quality, while ensuring fast feature delivery for your customers. You will be the second Android Engineer on the Drive Team using the most recent technologies such as Kotlin, Coroutines, Compose, etc.
What you will do
Work closely with a cross-functional team to design, build, test, and optimize Proton Drive for Android
- Develop high-quality customer experiences
- Write readable, maintainable, tested, and well-documented code
- Ensure that acceptance criteria and all parts of the technical design are correctly incorporated
- Follow and promote engineering best practices
- Take part in team activities, such as sprint ceremonies, code reviews, and pair programming
- Share your unique knowledge and skills with the rest of the team
- 8+ years of experience in software development (with a strong command of OOP, data structures and algorithms)
- 5+ years of extensive Android development
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with Kotlin and the Android SDK
- Experience with multithreading programming, mobile memory management, and caching mechanisms.
- You are a proactive and collaborative person with a strong sense of ownership who likes participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture or design
- You care about highly maintainable code, architecture, and testability
- Testing and longevity of the product is important for you
- You are passionate about user interaction, usability, and providing an excellent user experience
Bonus points for
- Well versed in security and with a good understanding of security best practices from an application development standpoint
- Experience using DevOps processes and practices (including CI/CD)
- Experience working in a distributed team
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits - These vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.