A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
We are looking for a Payroll Expert with a strong agile and analytics mindset to support our high growth business and be a force multiplier for our HR Total Rewards and tools Team, both globally and locally.
This position will play an instrumental role in streamlining our internal and external payroll processes, coordinate payroll operations services so to build the foundations for a future sustainable payroll framework.
What you will do
Payroll accuracy :Work in collaboration with local payroll specialists and with our outsourced payroll vendors to ensure that our global teams and authorities are paid accurately and on time every month, minimizing “point of failure” risks.
- Resolve any issues that arise with root cause analysis and corrective action(s).
- Ensure payroll data integrity across our HR and payroll systems, and identification and fixing of any errors.
- Supervision of the different tax and social security aspects that affect payroll transactions.
Payroll Optimisation: Operate with a mindset of continuous performance improvement to streamline and automate payroll processes as opportunities arise, building a vision for the future.:
- Build and scale our payroll processes in a global tech environment.
- Improve framework for payroll documentation.
- Build payroll policies, practices and controls, and monitor compliance of country regulations to meet payroll and tax obligations.
Ad Hoc projects:
Develop global payroll key indicators to help pilot, and service level agreement metrics to measure process health.
- Ensure effective controls are in place to meet auditable processes as required.
- Calculation of variable compensation for Sales population
- Collaborate with other departments such as HR and Accounting (as fun as us), to ensure that the end to end payroll process is accurate.
Management: Depending on the profile, you may take transverse management responsibilities within the People and Culture Team.
- Professional payroll qualification and/or professional accounting qualification.
- 6+ years of experience in end-to-end payroll and a good eye for overall and global payroll development, with experience from both in-house and outsourced payrolls, ideally in fast-paced tech environments
- At ease with with a multi-country scope of responsibility
- Solid knowledge of the payroll industry, technology trends and applicable regulatory requirements
- At ease with numbers, statistics, excellent analytical skills, and, important for the role, detail-oriented !
- Probably not a surprise : A proven experience with Microsoft Excel (pivot tables, lookups, Ifs at minimum, VBA is a plus) and with a Global payroll system.
- Solution focused and hands-on approach, with the ability to prioritise and deliver multiple tasks in order to meet conflicting timelines.
- Proactive attitude, flagging issues and inefficiencies and challenging the status quo.
- Humble and a team player
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and supporting organizations that advance the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit, with people coming from all walks of life. Many members of our team spent time at the world’s top academic institutions, including MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service – Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events, and team-building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. You will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain as part of the recruitment process.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation where Proton employs the relevant candidate.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.