Senior Public Policy Associate
A better internet is possible, one that empowers people to choose how their personal information is used. This might seem daunting, or even impossible, but at Proton, building this better internet is what we do every day.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, ProtonMail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as ProtonVPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, use end-to-end encryption that gives our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton is making privacy universally accessible to more than 50 million registered users, including journalists, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 30 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens use our products so they can choose who, if anyone, sees their information. Join us at one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies, we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
We are looking for a Senior Public Policy Associate to join our Public Policy team. The Public Policy team is in charge of engaging with lawmakers, regulators and authorities to preserve the values that are important to Proton. As a member of the Public Policy team you will analyze public policies and regulatory efforts critical to our business; contribute to the creation, refinement, and execution of strategic policy positions; advance our interests with legislators and regulators around the world and ensure adequate implementation of policies affecting our operations
What you will do
- Contribute to the development of Proton’s positions on technology policy issues globally and craft policy position documents, talking points and other materials for internal and external communication
- Monitor and analyze policy issues and developments of importance to Proton
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders
- Contribute to the development and execution of Proton’s advocacy strategies
- Partner with product and business teams across Proton to understand and counsel on the policy implications of strategic decisions
- Work closely with our Legal team to implement and ensure compliance with regulations affecting Proton’s business
- Produce opinions on regulatory matters as it may be required from time to time by other teams.
- 2 to 4 years of experience in advocacy and outreach activities towards policymakers and stakeholders preferably related to technology, security and software business
- A degree in a related field (Law, Political Science, Public Policy, etc.)
- Knowledge of the European regulatory framework and current issues related to the digital sector
- Good knowledge of the functioning of EU institutions and its legislative processes
- Experience in working with government officials, industry partners, and civil society organizations
- Ability to conduct deep research and analysis work to understand complex frameworks
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- A self-starter with a can-do attitude
- Team player, positive work attitude, sociability, reliability
Bonus Points for:
- Good written and verbal German or French communication skills
- Professional experience in data protection, competition law and/or digital sector regulatory issues.
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - ProtonMail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain. Due to recent scams, please be careful with any suspicious emails pretending to be Proton team and forward them to email@example.com. Proton will never ask for payments from candidates.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.