Software Development Engineer in Test (Mobile)
At Proton, we envision an internet where privacy is the default, and we’re building ways to help all people secure their digital lives and take control of their data. Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 40 million users.
Our principal product, Proton Mail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, Proton VPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products, including Proton Calendar, Proton Drive, and more to come.
Our users include New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens. The world is adopting our products at an accelerating pace. Whether it’s in New York, or at the front lines of the global struggle for freedom and democracy in Hong Kong, Belarus, and Myanmar, the work we do saves lives and is transforming the world. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, and Taipei, employing people around the world.
Purpose of the role
As a member of the Testing Productivity team, you will design, implement, and improve our test ecosystem at Proton. You will build frameworks, tools, and test infrastructure that provide product teams with reliable and fast testing solutions that improve product quality and accelerate feedback loops. Your work will have direct impact on our customer-facing apps for iOS, Android, Web and desktop clients, as well as our API and backend infrastructure.
What you will do
- Design and develop tools and infrastructure that help us provide quality apps.
- Develop and deploy advanced automated testing frameworks and monitoring systems.
- Partner with distributed teams to plan our future QA tooling and technology decisions.
- Work with DevOps and other teams to integrate test automation with build systems, test management systems, and device cloud.
- Partner with engineering teams to integrate test suites into the continuous integration system.
- Develop automated metric tools for management purposes.
- Improve the visibility, performance, and reliability of the build and test processes.
- Utilize multiple strategies for effective testing, including end-to-end, integration, and unit testing.
- Implement visual testing frameworks, and apply them in a continuous integration system.
- Design testing tools that empower developers to own tests.
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer in Test, or Test Automation Engineer.
- Proactive, self-driven, and capable of communicating with cross-functional teams.
- Understanding and use of mocking services.
- Hands-on coding experience with Kotlin and/or Swift.
- Espresso and/or XCTest test development experience.
- Understanding of CI/CD practices and Lean DevOps methodologies.
- Hands-on experience with performance measurement, evaluation, and optimization.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye toward maintainability.
- Self-motivated; able to work independently with minimal direction.
Bonus points for
- You are a strong communicator and have experience explaining complex technical concepts to less experienced engineers.
- Familiarity working with a team that cares for engineers to improve the overall test experience as part of the SDLC at scale.
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - ProtonMail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.