Technical Product Owner (VPN)
A better internet is possible, one that empowers people to choose how their personal information is used. This might seem daunting, or even impossible, but at Proton, building this better internet is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, use end-to-end encryption that gives our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton is making privacy universally accessible to more than 50 million registered users, including journalists, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 30 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens use our products so they can choose who, if anyone, sees their information. Join us at one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies, we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
We are looking for Product Owner to help lead the evolution of one of the most successful products, Proton VPN. The Product team at Proton sits at the intersection of engineering, growth, data, and design. The main purpose of this position is to deliver value to our users, both free and paid, through great user experience, innovative technical solutions to bypass censorship, with the final goal of becoming the best VPN product in the world.
What you will do
- Coordinate the development teams, driving consistency and setting deadlines across different platforms to deliver the best product to our users in good time.
- Hold Scrum ceremonies (Daily, Sprint Planning, Retrospective), with a strong focus on process improvement and velocity optimization.
- Break down user stories into workable and measurable tasks, along with the definition of technical acceptance criteria, in close collaboration with the QA team.
- Facilitate task refinements by promoting constructive discussions on alternative technical solutions, evaluating the impact on end-users, and analyzing trade-offs.
- Collaborate and establish cooperative working relationships with various stakeholders across the business, e.g Customer Support, Engineering.
- Proficiency with Scrum and Agile methodologies.
- Passion for a simple and intuitive User Experience.
- Ability to prioritize the tasks accordingly to the OKRs.
- Understand the way how to solve technical problems and communicate with SW Development teams.
- Strong empathy for the customer, a user-centric mindset, willingness to keep high standards.
- Strong leadership skills, a proven ability to motivate, persuade, and drive teams using your ability to influence people.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work efficiently under stressful situations and strict deadlines.
- Bonus point: Completed a higher education degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent degree.
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
By applying to a role at Proton, you acknowledge that we will process and store your personal data for at least the duration of the hiring process and as necessary to enter a contractual relationship with you.